Wednesday, August 19, 2009

When we left Fallon we rolled into Reno, NV for our next build day. We first rolled into someone's mansion where we got to have a little pool party & BBQ. We spent about 5 hours just lounging around. We then went and stayed at the house of a great guy named Steve. He opened his entire house to us. It wasn't a big house but enough for half the group to sleep inside and for the other half to pitch tents outside. I slept outside in a tent with Dennis.

On the build site Jenny, Dan Coop, and I worked on "crafts" as we like to call it. First Dan and I painted the trellis of a house a nice shade of purple. We managed to paint that in about an hour. We were ready to go inside because it was cold and windy in Reno that day. When we did finally go inside we painted some boards that would serve as address signs. We had a good time doing that because we stayed warm and out of the wind.

The next morning we rode our bikes to South Lake Tahoe. This was a great ride. I was riding to my home state. We rode through Carson City and took Hwy 50 up Spooner Pass into Tahoe. The climb was about 10 miles long but beautiful. And when I finally crested the top and started on the way down the other side, the view of the lake was spectacular. I was so glad I was home. The next day was a day off. Sean, Dennis, and I met my parents and we all drove around the lake. Cool part about doing this was that we got to see the better "Welcome to California" sign. I'm sorry but the California sign at Stateline is kinda sad. We stopped in a story that made beautiful wooden boats and we went on a little hike near Emerald Bay. After all this we ate dinner at the Beacon and watched people "dance". It was very funny watching these people attempt to dance with a drink in their hand. Anyway....

We then rode Hwy 50 out of Tahoe and started for Auburn. I was able to plan this cue sheet for everyone. We rode through downtown Placerville where I got to stop into my sister's work. It was her birthday so most of my family was there with her to celebrate her birthday with her. Sean, Dennis, and Dan M. were able to stick around and they LOVED the appetizer Quesadilla they make. We then trekked down Cold Springs Rd into Coloma where we got to meet a B&B Alumni for lunch. After eating there I sped off to Auburn. Going down the canyon was fun but going back up... not so much. I wish it was required for road crews to give a 3 foot shoulder. Some people got a little close but I finally made it to the top. We rolled in and had a great pot luck dinner provided.

Then we set out for Davis. I also planned this route which everyone loved. We took Folsom-Auburn Rd down to the new bridge where we got to ride the American River Bike Trail all the way into Sacramento. Everyone loved it because this was about 30 miles of bike trail. My friend Dave G., B&B Alumni from last year, in Sacramento. He rode with us into Davis where we got to stay about 2 block away from my favorite burger joint. We were greeted with water balloon grenades from the B&B SC2SC route that was also staying in Davis that day. We had a little competition between the routes and a mock wedding. I don't know how the idea came around but it was pretty funny. Afterward Dave and I went down to Burgers & Brew for a drink and some food. It was great being able to see him again.

We then rode into Santa Rosa. We started through some more rolling hills and dry lands. I got to ride with one of the program directors, Kristian. We got to see some hot air balloons, one of witch landed right in the middle of a field for some reason. It was kinda funny to watch. We then hit a hill that was about 4 miles long with a 12% incline. Not the funnest hill I have been on but I climbed it. I got to the top with Kristian standing there cheering me on. It was great. We then had some amazing downhills. I found out that Kristian does not believe in breaks, or so it seemed that way. I was going down a hill with him in front of me. We would take one turn and by the time I saw the next one, he was gone. Talk about a speed demon. We stayed at a church that was build into an old barn and they cooked us pork Loin. IT WAS SO GOOD! I walked down to the Safeway to use their Internet for about 4 hours. I needed this to finish part of my video.

The next morning we went to San Rafael. This was the hottest day in California. I rode with Dan Coop, Carlie, and Carina. We rolled through a lot of rolling hills but still had a great time. This was only a 50 mile day and I got to our host after 5 hours. We decided to take out time and we were still the first group in. The church we stayed at had a guitar group that played for us and cooked us a great chicken and pork dinner. The church was located on the north side of the bay and overlooked it from it's balcony. We had a great time there.

I am going to share more about our final day in my next blog that I will work on this week. Thank you again for everyone's support.

No comments:

Post a Comment